First off, I am very thankful that things went well in the surgery. [Addie, Elder Tonkinson’s six-year-old sister had 6.5 hours of spine surgery on Friday] I received notice of it Saturday morning and it was a great relief. [We emailed the mission office and asked them to pass on the word that all had gone well. He had been fasting for her] I am thankful for the blessings of modern medicine to keep us healthy.
Share some spiritual insights from your study this week?
- This week was a good week so brace yourselves. I was studying the Book of Omni the other day. and I started thinking. ¿Que onda? (translated, what wave, or what is going on) anyway. I thought ¿why is it that there are these short little books right here? ¿what happened?. With that in mind I started reading
- vs 2 …”I of myself am a wicked man, and I have not kept the statutes and the commandments of the Lord as I ought to have done.” First clue. Omni wasn’t ´t righteous.
- vs 11 “…and I know of no revelation save that which has been written, neither prophecy; wherefore, that which is sufficient is written” second clue. They were wicked and therefore there was no revelation and therefore they believed that what was written to be sufficient. Which made me think of 2 nephi
- chapter 29: 6 “Thou fool, that shall say: A Bible, we have got a Bible, and we need no more Bible.”
- This is when things started clicking in my head and I started thinking of Apostasy. Wickedness brings about a lack of revelation and the lack of revelation begins the apostasy The Bible stopped because the people stopped living the gospel principles. There wasn’t t more revelation because they were wicked and therefore all began to think that because THEY weren’t receiving more revelation that, revelation in its totality had therefore ceased. This as we know is false doctrine.
- The reading continues
- vs 12- 13 “and as many as would hearken unto the voice of the Lord should also depart out of the land with him, into the wilderness—13 And it came to pass that he did according as the Lord had commanded him. And they departed out of the land into the wilderness, as many as would hearken unto the voice of the Lord; and they were led by many preachings and prophesyings. And they were admonished continually by the word of God; and they were led by the power of his arm”
- I find this interesting because what it shows is that while the world as a whole continued in Apostasy. Those that followed the Lord and His profets were saved and guided by him.
- Upon realizing what was happening I answered my own question. The books are short because the World was in Apostasy. Or better said they chose to be in Apostasy. The profets were still there and when the people decided to follow them they were blessed. However until that point they had to suffer the consequences.
- It is therefore the same for us. As much as we want to listen to the profets and their guidance we will be blessed. But as soon as we say, that is enough, we begin our own personal apostasy and our lament will be the same that “.. I know of no revelation save that which has been written, neither prophecy”
- That was just part of my studies for the week.
Tell us about your current teaching pool.
- investigator 1: name undisclosed. Single Mother of two children ages 16 and 26. She participated in the Seventh day adventist church for 14 years without ever being baptized. Her son was student of our bishop and we were first put in contact with her when she came to church with a friend with whom she works. We have been teaching her for about a month and half and she is going to be baptized on the 28/4. She is an incredible investigator. She has read a large majority of the Book of Mormon, watched all of general conference and loved it and knows more about the Bible then I do (not to say that I know that much). At the same time she has maintained humility in accept the teachings that we have given her. She stopped smoking and drinking tea and coffee. As well she has invited her children to listen. They are moving a little slower in their progress but we will see what happens.
- She is sort of our best investigador for the moment. We have lots of others but we are teaching a lot of people that are living together but aren’t married. A very frustrating but real, reality here in the mission.
- We have lots of people that are coming to church but some of them just dont want to get baptized. Also a frustrating deal.
- Anyway that is about that for the investigador pool.
This week it has been a struggle to write in my journal even one day. We have gotten home a little later, had to deal with a couple things that normally we dont have and been in general exhausted. I opted several times to make myself some real food (quesadillas) instead of writing. Something I hope to remedy today with the 4 or 5 ours of tine we are hoping to have after shopping.
We found lots of new investigators this week. We are hoping that about 5 of them turn out to be good constant ones but there are never any promises.
I am doing well in general.
Once again. I love you all lots and hope that life is well in the states. You are in my prayers. Until next week
Elder Caleb Tonkinson